Turmeric powder is a wonderful spice which is used all over the world. It’s a main ingredient in some of the cooking dishes. It is used for medicinal purpose also. It gives a nice color to dishes like Kande Pohe, Chicken Biryani, Dahi Kadi etc.
In history the Erode is well known as “Yellow City” or “Turmeric City”. In the state of Maharashtra (India) Sangli, a town is the second largest trading center for turmeric in Asia.
Turmeric is used as a spice all over the world especially for cooking but beside cooking it has several other uses and health benefits too.
- i) It is used as sunscreens.
- ii) It helps to protect food products from sunlight.
iii) It is used during wedding ceremony.
- iv) In Pujas turmeric is used.
- v) If there is a stomach problem turmeric is used.
- vi) If you have cough, boil the milk and add 1 tsp turmeric in the warm milk mixed and drink. It helps to reduce cough.
vii) Turmeric is also benefits in cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, arthritis and other clinical disorders.
viii) Turmeric can be used for your skin as a face-mask. It you have a acne, turmeric can be used with gram flour and add 1 tbs lemon juice and milk to make a fine paste. Wash the face and wipe it. And then apply with your finger on the whole face this turmeric paste. Avoid your eyes. After 15-20 minutes wash with the water. It gives your face a new look and your skin looks gloomy and smooth.
- ix) In India, before marriage turmeric is applied to groom and bride.
- x) If there is a cut, wound turmeric powder is used.
Now, we come to know other then cooking there are several uses of turmeric powder which helps to glow our skin more beautiful. It helps to prevent some of the diseases. And also other uses of turmeric powder in cooking, ceremonial, cosmetics, dye, gardening, medicine etc.
Turmeric powder is used in cooking to make curries of vegetarian and non- vegetarian dishes. Below are some of the Indian Cuisine recipes made with using turmeric powder.
- i) Kande Pohe
- ii) Vada Pav
- iv) Chicken
- v) Chicken Biryani